Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

BIGGSD is a virtual rescue forum & not a rescue centre. To enquire about dogs shown on this forum please contact the relevant rescue centre or dog owner directly.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. You cannot post as a guest. If you join our community, you will be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, posting and sending personal messages. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free, and once logged in as a member, the adverts will no longer be visible to you.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
add reply
Rescue dog or puppy; I have 1 cat and 8 chickens
Topic Started: 26 Aug 2017, 04:04 PM (557 Views)
Buzzless
I like love gsd grew up with them and they were all rescue dogs. That was a long time ago but my traveling is done so feel I would like a gsd again but it all seams so complicated. One rescue centre will not allow gsd with cats another says very difficult with cats why not have a Doberman.

I am feeling so out of date with info I was always thought terrier breeds you had to be car full of with fur and feather.

What is the general advise keep looking or give up and get a puppy.

All polite comments greatfully received.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pamela
Member Avatar

Hi ,

I know plenty of rescues that will home with cats if they have previously lived with them.
Not all GSDS are chicken friendly , perhaps they could be kept separately or with careful introduction .

Personally would never buy a puppy

Dont know what age you would consider ?

Charlie is said to be good with cats here

http://www.garbosgsdrescue.co.uk/charlie.htm

Sadie said to be good with cats
http://www.german-shepherd-rescue-hampshire.org.uk/dogs-in-need/item/395-sadie

biggsd
Member Avatar
Theres a home out there for every dog

I see your in the south west? have you tried South West German Shepherd Rescue or others

http://s10.zetaboards.com/biggsd/topic/7532946/1/#new

https://www.facebook.com/SouthWestGsdRescue

icci
Member Avatar
GSD Addict
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you considering adoption. There are so many dogs needing homes, that personally, I now believe the only reason to breed, should be for working dogs, Even some of those could and should be rescues, depending on role.
Whoever has told you GSDs can't be with cats, or feathered is talking out a hole that is not their mouth ;) No breed can be guaranteed good with, or not good with, something. Like humans they are all individuals and should be treated as such.
The GSDs who have owned me, have all been good with cats. From the 8 week old puppy who came into the home of an 8yr old tabby, to the infamous Grumpy Gracie, who doesn't like people and isn't keen on other dogs, but had no issues with the foster cat a I had when she arrived or the little stranger who turned up in the garden one day(a story for another day). I have also had a couple of fosters who loved people, dogs, horses, chickens but couldn't be trusted near a cat. Got to add, my 8 week old puppy grew up to love 'her' cat and any cat in the house or garden, but anywhere other than that cats were fair game.
In short, there is a GSD out there, sitting waiting for a forever home, who will be fine with your other family members. Now you have found this site, your chances of finding him/her has increased 1000 fold.
Good luck and please let us all know when you find the one, we like photos :D

biggsd
Member Avatar
Theres a home out there for every dog

http://vigilgsdrescue.org.uk/dog.cgi?ref=20170044

Patlucky
Would like to stay in bed like the other Pat does

Buzzless
26 Aug 2017, 04:04 PM
I like love gsd grew up with them and they were all rescue dogs. That was a long time ago but my traveling is done so feel I would like a gsd again but it all seams so complicated. One rescue centre will not allow gsd with cats another says very difficult with cats why not have a Doberman.

I am feeling so out of date with info I was always thought terrier breeds you had to be car full of with fur and feather.

What is the general advise keep looking or give up and get a puppy.

All polite comments greatfully received.
It depends on the dog
It would not be a good idea to rescue any dog that just did not like cats.
I adopted a GSD almost three years ago now she is scared of my cat.
Only because the cat does not like Bonnie running in past her.
If Bonnie is laying down the cat will come and kiss her that is lovely
Just make sure you know what you want ie a quiet dog who is cat friendly
Most rescues will cat test a dog
Good luck
:gsd paw: :gsd paw:

Buzzless
I am greatful for all of your help and links. I will check in to them i spoke to garbo the other day i think charlie gas been adopted. You have been helpful and friendly will update and send photos. I will keep looking.
Thanks

Patlucky
Would like to stay in bed like the other Pat does

Buzzless
29 Aug 2017, 10:50 PM
I am greatful for all of your help and links. I will check in to them i spoke to garbo the other day i think charlie gas been adopted. You have been helpful and friendly will update and send photos. I will keep looking.
Thanks
Did you get a dog ?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Help with the Board & Feedback · Next Topic »
add reply

dobermanrescue Doglost RHU rottierescue staffie rescue FurryFriends Oldies Club FurryFriends